How often do you feel like your foundation is crumbling from under your feet or you might be in need of a little makeover? Maybe your exterior looks in tact all the while your infrastructure needs some support.
You may feel like your foundation has collapsed; you are in the middle of rebuilding relationships, or your season of life finds you fully staged and beautifully decorated. No matter where you find yourself, much like the popular HGTV show, Fixer Upper, God gives us a DIY blueprint to draw closer to Him, fixing your eyes on Jesus which will decorate your life with principles that glorify HIM. He wants you and me to be diligent in presenting ourselves approved to Him just as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15).
He wants us to lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, that we may run with endurance the race set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith (Hebrews 12:1-2).
As you draw closer to Him and join yourself to the Lord, He will make you more than a Fixer Upper and you will be ready for His use.
God gives us a 5 step DIY for closer intimacy with Him
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up. James 4:7-10 (NIV)
- Humble (submit) yourself before God – vs. 7
- Yield to His authority and will.
- Commit your life to Him and His control.
- Be willing to follow Him.
- Is He the Lord of your life?
- Resist the Devil – vs 7
- Don’t allow Satan to tempt and entice you.
- Remove yourself from anything that replaces God.
- How do we do this? Get into the Word!
- The devil will try to keep you from the Word; the Word will keep you from the devil.
- Wash your hands and purify yourselves – vs. 8
- Action verbs!!!!
- Desire to lead a pure life.
- Drawing near to God requires our cleansing.
- This purification process pictures the importance of approaching God with a pure heart, of making one holy.
- Let there be sorrow and deep grief for your sins – vs. 9
- Don’t be afraid to express deep grief for what you have done.
- A contrite spirit is essential for God’s cleansing.
- Isaiah 66:2 – I will bless those who have a humble and contrite heart, who tremble at my word.
- Bow down before the Lord – vs. 10
- Again, humble yourself before Him.
- The way up is down!!!
As you work through these 5 steps, you will purposefully invest in your relationship with God. You will find more delight in Him which will build your intimacy and make you more than a Fixer Upper, one fixed up and ready for the Father’s use.
He will meet you, disclose Himself and draw you closer.
Journeying with Him,